Hey Everyone! It's been a bit of a rush lately, between getting sick and now shipping out Millennium Blades, as well as preparing for the Duelist Library. We've had quite a lot on our plate and I missed last week's Indines In-Depth. But, in the interest of getting back on schedule, I finally have a new character writeup for you!
This week we're featuring Joal Kalmor, a monster hunter from the desert nation of Sanghalim, and one of the most versatile and capable fighters in BattleCON: Devastation. Enjoy!
"Look, I’m just here for the dragons."
"You should know it takes more than a little stone gaze to kill a professional monster hunter."
Joal is a world renowned monster hunter who travels the world in search of new quarries to track and eliminate. He is known for dispatching golems, werewolves, husks, undead, and particularly dragons.
Joal is a master of many types of weapons, and many of the monsters he takes down require specialized tools and techniques to dispatch. He enjoys a certain amount of celebrity in his home country, but his real aspiration is to take down a truly legendary monster, such as the Dragon Queen Adjenna, or one of the great Disasters.
Story in Devastation
Hearing rumors of a dangerous monster in the northeastern city of Kherdoza, Joal traveled there, only to meet up with Eligor and Runika. Together, they hunted down the creature plaguing the city, which turned out to be Shekhtur, and returned her to her sanity. Together, the four adventurers headed to Adjenna's tower in hopes of defeating the Dragon Queen Adjenna and preventing the return of Dragon King Greyheart. In the battle with Adjenna, he stays behind when the party has to flee, presumably sacrificing himself so that the rest of the team can escape.
Story in Trials
Learning the legend of the Vault Keys, Joal signs on to act as a bodyguard to Amon Elcela, as the Reliquary Specialist hunts for the legendary artifacts. Their travels take them across the lands of Indines, where they come across many familiar faces from their previous adventures.
10 Facts about Joal
- His primary job is to hunt monsters for the Sanghalese government. He is one of many officially sanctioned monster hunters that work for the government, and he is not able to take on outside work until his government duties are finished.
- He is proficient with all sorts of weapons, and has even designed a few himself, though these deal specifically with certain types of monsters, and aren’t good for general use.
- He fights with a six-pointed Ironstar, which is the modern style. The six points are a reference to the six gods (omitting the seventh apocryphal god, Gan’tzurn). César, the other Ironstar wielder in the cast, uses a 5-pointed star, a relic of the kind made right after the death of the machine god, Mak’terix. Joal’s star is made of an aluminum alloy, which makes it light enough for a human to wield (but still heavy). By contrast, César’s is made of steel.
- Joal loves shopping for new weapons, but his wife, Vanaah, decides what his budget will be. His home is already full of weapons, so she’s started agreeing to fewer and fewer purchases.
- As a boy, Joal watched the arena games in the Imperial Undercity, where men and beasts fought before crowds. From a young age, he wanted to be an arena gladiator.
- He was apprenticed to an older monster hunter, Yoran. When Yoran retired, Joal inherited his weapons, the most valuable of which is his Binding Knife.
- Joal is a decent marksman, but prefers to use melee weapons or thrown weapons. His hand cannon is mainly used to stun an enemy and giving him time to move in.
- Joal gets most of his assignments from the Temple Prophets, like Seth. He knows Seth, but has never met the Empress herself.
- Shekhtur once robbed Joal’s house, and stole a valuable sword from him. He thinks it’s just lost in his stash of weapons, but she recognizes him.
- Joal has an apprentice of his own, Ivana Titanheart, who goes on many adventures of her own and takes on less-dangerous hunts while Joal is away. Her apprenticeship is almost at an end, and she is currently searching for a government post of her own.